Thursday, December 19, 2013

Miracle 63: Overcoming Trials

This is Sister Hutchins posting tonight and I have the absolute pleasure of sharing with you all one of my darling best friend's miracles. I hope you love it because it made me cry.


During the summer of 2012 I tore my ACL & my medial & lateral meniscus playing ultimate Frisbee. This was the first time that I had ever seriously injured myself. I am a collegiate athlete & have been competing in competitive sports my entire life since the age of 5.

This was the first time ever that an injury would keep me from doing what I loved to do. I received my ACL surgery right before my sophomore year of college began. After having had just completed a very successful season as a freshman in my sport, I was devastated & heartbroken that I would have to red shirt, or in other words, sit out for the next season due to my injury/surgery… Soon after I got my surgery, it was time for me to go back to school & needless to say I was an emotional mess. I started questioning everything: my worth, my faith, my talent, & just everything about my life in general & the direction I was heading at that time. I felt hopeless & worthless & could feel myself slipping into a dark place. I felt that I had hit rock bottom & that Satan was winning. I kept wondering “Why me, why now, how could this have happened, what did I do to deserve this emotional, physical, & spiritual pain?”… In retrospect I now realize that this trial was necessary. The turning point for me was right after I had finished my fall term & was on winter break.

My dearest & closest friend had given me a book 3 months earlier for my birthday that I didn’t have time to read until then, titled Heaven Is Here. In this memoir, the author Stephanie Nielson, tells the story of how she & her husband survived a small plane crash that almost took both of their lives. After burning over 80% of her body & being in a coma for 4 months, she lives & her story of faith & hope has become a beacon of light in my life ever since. If my friend hadn’t given me that book & if I hadn’t felt inspired to read it when I did I don’t know where I’d be right now.

It’s been a year since I read that book & during this time I have realized & come to understand that the Lord knows us better than we know ourselves & since he knows us so well he strategically gives us trials so that we can grow & so that we can turn our weaknesses into strengths with His help of course. He will never hand us a trial that we will not be able to overcome or learn from. So in many ways my knee surgery & the trials that came along with it have been humbling miracles in my life because I now know that I would not be the person I am today if it weren’t for that trial, & I am eternally grateful for the growth I’ve seen within myself over the past year that I would not have been able to see otherwise. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.


There can be miracles when you believe in God.

Have a miracle to share? Find me on Facebook: Sister-Jenessa Hutchins  and Sister-Jenessa Heckel or like the When You Believe in God Facebook page! We would love nothing more than to share your miracles with the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment