Monday, November 4, 2013

Miracle 7: The Reminder of an Olive Leaf

Alright dear world, it is my turn to share another miracle.

We've recently began teaching a darling woman named Cynthia about our beliefs. Yesterday she sent us a text that said she was ready to give up. In other words, she's been contemplating suicide more and more in the past few days. In the past year, this woman has been through two brain surgeries and her entire world has been flipped upside down. Immediately after receiving the text, Sister Hibpshman and I got on our knees and prayed for guidance on how we could help. We decided to go over to see this woman hoping we could help.

With Cynthia laying in her bed, we sat cross legged on the floor of her bedroom talking with her. We began teaching a lesson about our Savior, Jesus Christ. So often we only focus on the part of the Atonement that covers our sins, but we wanted her to know that Christ's suffering in Gethsemane covered SO much more than that. Our Savior experienced and understands each of our pains, sicknesses, emotions, trials, and burdens. I then felt inspired to tell Cynthia about my experience in the garden of Gethsemane six months ago on my study abroad to Jerusalem with BYU. I testified of the knowledge I gained while sitting in that incredible place. I told her about the reality of our Savior and how I knew that He knows exactly how she is feeling. I pulled out the olive leaves I have pressed in my scriptures that the gardener gave us from the garden and pulled off a leaf. I told her that in the moments she doubted, all she needed to do was hold on to that leaf. Jesus Christ lived and died for each one of us. He is real. He knows her. I told Cynthia that this leaf can be a reminder for her. As she held tightly to that leaf, tears began to fall down her face. Sister Hibpshman and I began to sing a few hymns just like we did in the Garden of Gethsemane when I was there and just let that beautiful spirit fill the room.

We then handed darling Cynthia a Book of Mormon, testifying to her that in our darkest moments...this book gives us the strength to carry on. She finally opened up and agreed to read it. And guess what? That olive tree leaf is now her book mark in that Book of Mormon. Oh my word...I love this woman. I love our Savior Jesus Christ and the hope He gives each one of us. And I love that I can share these incredible experiences in Jerusalem with other people and help them feel of the reality of Jesus Christ. It is truly a miracle when God can take your personal experiences and help you use them to bless another, especially in their darkest moments.

There can be miracles when you believe in God.

Sister Hutchins

Have a miracle to share? Find me on Facebook: Sister-Jenessa Hutchins. I would love nothing more than to share your miracles with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment