Friday, November 8, 2013

Miracle 12: An Instrument in His Hands

This incredible miracle is from a 24-year-old college student living in Utah.


While I was serving an LDS mission to the beautiful islands of Hawaii my mother was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. The doctors gave her about a 20 percent chance of living. My mother thought it would be best not to tell me about her condition until a few days before her surgery. Needless to say, I was pretty distraught. Never had I felt so helpless. I wanted to be with my family more than ever, to comfort my mother in her hour of need. Yet, through it all, I knew I was where I needed to be. The night before the surgery my companion gave me a priesthood blessing and reassured me that everything was going to be well with my mother. My companion agreed to fast with me the next day to petition the Lord to spare my mother if it be his will. I knew that my family at home was also fasting and it was nice to know that we would all be united in the same purpose.

As the day of her surgery came and went I heard nothing from my family. The next day I received a phone call from a close family friend that was living on Oahu at the time. She had said that the surgery went well and that my mother was recovering beautifully. A few days later I received an email from my mother recounting the events of what had happened the day of her surgery.

The doctors informed her that they would need to place little stents into her heart valves to make it so blood could flow more easily to the heart. It was a risky procedure but the doctors felt that this was the best option. The procedure went longer than planned and my family was really starting to worry. After what felt like years the doctor finally came out to my family in the waiting room. He spoke of how they had hit a blockage in one of my mother’s heart valves and that after two hours of trying they were about to give up. As the doctor was telling this story he paused, eyes glistening and said, “I don’t really believe in God or divine intervention for that matter. But, for two hours we had been working on your mother and nothing was happening. Just as we were about to give up it felt as if someone else was guiding my hands. I can’t explain it, but as this was happening we were able to break through the blockage and place the last heart stent to your mother’s main artery.”

The doctor may not have believed in God, or may not be able to explain what had happened, but I knew. The Savior is referred to as the Master Healer, the Great Physician. At that moment Heavenly Father was aware of a young missionary on the isles of the sea. He was mindful of my little family who was pleading with the Lord to spare the life of their beloved wife and mother. I know that prayer and fasting truly work, as we put our trust in God and in His timing we will be blessed for it. I know that Jesus is the Christ and that through the infinite atonement we can be cleansed from sin. We can be healed both physically and spiritually as we have faith and believe in the Savior Jesus Christ. The Lord knows every detail in the fabric of our lives and he will comfort and lift us when we need it the most. This scripture continued to come to my mind during all of this, I hope that it brings as much comfort to you as it did and still does to me: 3 Nephi 9:13-14.

There can be miracles when you believe in God.


Have a miracle to share? Find me on Facebook: Sister-Jenessa Hutchins. I would love nothing more than to share your miracles with the world.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment