Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Miracle 101: Parenting with Prayer

This powerful miracle is from a father living in Utah!


When my son was 17 years old and 3 days from getting his Eagle Scout award, I got a call from the mall security that he had been caught shop lifting. I told them I would be right down to pick him up. As I hung up the phone, I felt prompted to pray for the Lord's help, but I was so upset I did not feel like praying. As I drove to the mall I became amazed at how out of line my thinking had become. I thought I should call the scout office and tell them to take away his Eagle award, I thought I should tell my son he is done being able to associate with these friends. I wanted to tell the Bishop about it all. I even pondered what I should do to punish him. On and on, these thoughts kept coming.

Finally I arrived at the mall, and before going in, I said a prayer: "Father, help me out here so I don't ruin my relationship with my son by overreacting."

As we started home, I got this overwhelming feeling to let him know I loved him. I felt it so strongly that I started to cry realizing I could not put into words the love I had for him. As I tried and continued to cry, the feeling came over me that this is how our Father in Heaven feels when we sin. I then realized and was taught by the spirit that this lesson was for me so that I could feel my Savior's love for me, though I'm a sinner. I told my son that I loved him more than I could describe, but that I hoped he could feel it. It didn't have near the impact on him as it did me. I knew my Father in Heaven still loved me after all I had done to disappoint him. 


A few years later, my son went to Honduras on his mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and has since married in the temple. I'm so grateful I prayed, even though I was so mad and didn't feel like praying.


There can be miracles when you believe in God.

Have a miracle to share? Find us on Facebook: Sister-Jenessa Hutchins and Sister-Jenessa Heckel or like the When You Believe in God Facebook page! We would love nothing more than to share your miracles with the world. 



No comments:

Post a Comment