Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Miracle 2: Battling Cancer with God

3 weeks ago, I was approached by Sister Hutchins and her colleague. We talk about many topic related to God and different faith. But the one that will stick with me the rest of my life was my battle with Prostate and Colon cancer in 2007. Today, 6 years later, I am alive with no sign of cancer and enjoy what God have done for me so many time in my life. Below you see where I share a little about my family of 14 kids and both parent with not one day of education.

I was born and raised in a very small place call South Hill Virginia. There was a total of 14 kids, 13 of us live until we got grown. I was number 13 of the 14 kids and number 7 of the 8 boys and 6 sisters. Neither of my parents ever attended school a day in the life. My baby sister went to the 7 grade and my baby brother attend the 11th grade. My mother told me in my later years that I was not expecting to live until I got grown. I was born with a serious medical condition but back then no one made no diagnose as to what type of medical condition you had as long as you was living when the doctor leave your house. So you see God bless me early in life with a gift of life and love. While God paved my way of life for me, he also help me by given me the courage to go out and seek help from friends to help me with the things I needed.

In September 11, 2001 I came to Jacksonville Florida which we all will never forget the tragedy that struck the U.S. in New York and Washington DC. I retired in December 01, 2006 and a manager of the Postal Service. I had come to work every day as usual with no medical problems. I had went 15 years without calling in sick. I love what I was doing and I love the individuals that work under my direct supervisions. I had been going to the Veteran Hospital just for routine checkup as all other veterans do. On December 12, I received a very important call from the VA in Gainesville, Florida they told me I need to come and see my Doctor. Well I did as I was told so when I arrive his nurse took me into his office and the Doctor ask me how was I feeling. I said fine. He went straight to the point and said Mr. Thorne did you know that you have cancer? I said no, no one never told he said the bad part is that you have 2 types of cancers Prostate and Colon cancer. We are going to do all we can not having to do any surgery. We are going to treat you with Chemo-Therapy and Radiation. It is not an easy treatment but it is much better than surgery. Do you have any questions? I said no Sir. He said your primary Doctor there in Jacksonville will set all your treatment. So I leave and as I was driving I received a call from my use to be Secretary at the post office. She said Mr. Thorne what did the doctor say? I told her and she said O my God are you crying? I said no I will tell you more when I get back to Jacksonville. I am jumping ahead just a little I received call saying Mr. Thorne you are not going to be able to make those appointments alone, I said  yes I will saying to myself I am not alone God will be with me all the way. My first day at the Dr. Office for radiations I said these peoples look like they are in morgue. But I had my big smile as always and I said what wrong in here not very loud so the nurse smile and said Mr. Thorne the doctor is ready for you now. As I go into the Doctor office his nurse said do you always keep a smile on your face? I said yes unless I am angry. I went through my first radiations treatment right away. I started feeling weak but I never let it be known. The weakness  and no energy got worse as the radiation continue but I never stop. On Friday I would leave Radiations and drive to Gainesville VA hospital which is about 65 miles one way just me and God.  

Again I am moving forward just a little this one particular day was very special as I was about 30 miles this side of Gainesville. I stop my car on the side of the road and sat there all of sudden I started crying like a baby. Asking God why me why haven’t my brothers or sisters never went through this. Not that I wish this on no one it was just whenever I would visit them which is not often it appear to me they was enjoy life as they would call it. I cried and cried at one time it was so hard to stop crying. At the same time I ask God why did you allow this to happen to me God. I have brothers and sisters God that lives there life one day at a time some of them they drank, they fight, they know nothing about the word of God. They care nothing about helping the less fortunate who don’t have much. I have always kept spiritual CDs in my car. So I put the one in by Ravened Kirk Franklin and Bishop Jake, as I was still crying the song came up where Ravened Kirk Franklin says to Bishop Jake when will it stop and Bishop Jake came back and said son God told me to tell you the storm won't last always. I stop crying right then and I never look back. Because I truly believe the storm will not last always. I am what they call today old traditional Baptist by faith, and I guess one could say I am old fashion because I don’t believe in jumping from church to church just mainly to gossip and spread rumors.

I may not had any family member by my side, but I had someone by my side who promise me he would never leave me and he was by my side before then. God told me he would stay by my side during cancer treatment and forever. 

There can be miracles when you believe in God.

Junius T. Thorne

Have a miracle to share? Find me on Facebook: Sister-Jenessa Hutchins. I would love nothing more than to share your miracles with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment